It's been a year. How is that possible.
I apologize for not having written this past year. I was actually asked about this early this camping season, and did not have a good answer. I've been busy, probably not so busy that I could not have written, so here it is.
Today we ended Webelos Weekend. Cub Resident Camp was earlier this week. This previously had been the fifth week of the camping season. The Fifth Session had been eliminated as a Scouts BSA week, as there was, and is, insufficient campers to provide a quality program.
Fast forward to the ending of the 2026 camping season, and we are facing the fact that next year, in 2027, there will only be four Scouts BSA camping sessions, which will be followed by Cub Resident Camp and Webelos Weekend. In all fairness, it isn't that we camped fewer this year than last, it is that the sessions are very poorly balanced, with three of the sessions sufficiently sized for a good program, and two that were less so. By eliminating a session, the goal is to have each of the sessions large enough to provide a consistent quality program for all.
I felt to write this as I was walking the hills and valleys of a nearly empty camp, hours before the last and largest session arrives. The peacefulness of the camp caused great reflection, and so, for what it is worth, here it is.
It was 1978 that I stepped onto the Geiger Scout Reservation. I was in Troop 377 in Heart of America Council, attending camp with Troop 206 of Trimble, MO. In those days, few if any troops attending Geiger were from out of council, opposite of today when most campers are out of council. There was a certain animosity in those days between Heart of America and Pony Express, as they both sported Honor Camping Societies founded by the same individual. H. Roe Bartle (aka the Chief). The Tribe of Mic-O-Say, first founded in 1925 in St. Joseph, Missouri, was started in Kansas City when Bartle transferred down there. That was the environment that I walked into as a 14 year old kid.
I was tapped that year, and Apache was the campsite. The Dining Hall and Tradin' Post were just up the hill, close by. Of course, the old Dining Hall is now the Training Center, and is the residence of the under 18 staff, no longer living in the A Frames of yesteryear. My father was also tapped that year, and thus began the story of Golden Words. 1979 brought camping in Navajo, which was pretty much the farthest away from everything, except the pool. Or so I thought. Of course the distance to the Dining Hall from Navajo then pales in consideration to the distance to the new Dining Hall. It was there that I advanced to Warrior. More on the tribe in a moment. If you are tired of the travelogue of my Geiger life, look for the Bold Blue Lettering below.
I won't recount much, 1980 brought camping in an ancient site, a remnant of old Camp. Buffalo Bill. Cabin camping. These cabins reminded me of the leader cabins down at Bartle, except these cabins were deteriorating, and soon to be eliminated. Buffalo Bill, for those who don't know, is down the old camp road, past Apache, and what was Kit Carson, beyond it was Dan Beard.
The year I advanced to Firebuilder, we were camped in Osage. I had a large ceremonial fire on Friday night, along with two staffers, and did not take a single Merit Badge that year, collect before lunch, collect before dinner. dragging tarps all day. I feel for those Firebuilders on Staff that have to do so week in and week out. I advanced to Tom Tom Beater. Then I turned 18, and wasn't an Eagle Scout.
I came to camp the next year, it was the first year for the Pueblo Campsite. what a mudslide we had through it. I was assigned, besides Wednesday night, Long Beat. If you've done it, you know. I had no, zero, ningun expectation of advancing to Runner. If you weren't Eagle, you didn't. But then I did. No, I don't know why.
1983 found our Troop diverting to a significant encampment of troops of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Camp Eastman in Nauvoo, IL. That did not stop a handful of us coming up and attending that summer. Just weeks before I was to leave on my 18 month mission to Spain, we came to camp, and three Firebuilders advanced, and I got an extra run in.
1984 was a scratch, for me. The only year that I have not attended camp for at least 3 days and nights of a session with my troop. I was serving God, as so many young men do of The Church of Jesus Christ.
1985 brought my return to Camp Geiger, and it was during a session established specifically to cater to troops of my faith. I was saddened by some of the Hijinx that went on that year, as, while most weeks it can be called "boys being boys", it instead became "so that's how Mormon kids are". What came out of that week that shocked me, and probably most of the staff, was when they named me the Tapper. To this day I don't understand why. I did the job, and on Friday night, received the coup and advanced to Keeper of the Sacred Bundle, a position that at the time, had a far less glamorous title.
The Honor Camping Society at Camp Geiger
I certainly would love to know how you felt about that first part, if you made it through. That took me into adulthood, and actually leading young men. If there is interest, I can relate the next saga.
I mentioned the Tribe of Mic-O-Say previously, and am being very cautious here, as I am aware that some may take my words to represent any kind of official position that the Pony Express Council, or Tribe of Mic-O-Say in the Pony Express Council. They do not. They are my own. Don't expect any kind of diatribe about policy, just feelings about the Tribe in the world we live in today.
Honor Camping Societies are nearly as old as Scouting itself. They have evolved and become refined over the years, adapting to the era. They all seem to serve a similar purpose, which could be stated as twofold, one, establish a brotherhood, or connectedness, linking the newest members to the most senior. This is critical as it facilitates the other part, retention of scouts into their mid to late teens, and propel them into adult leadership once they are eligible.
Of course, the big dog in the room, nationally is Order of the Arrow. It is a national program, meaning that regardless of where you began your path, your status in the organization is recognized no matter where you live in the United States. Being national does open doors for you, wherever you may be, but it comes at a price. A national program is subject directly to the national council. and as such must adapt policy accordingly. If I knew more about the program, I would lay it out, but I do not. What I do know about is Mic-O-Say, or more specifically, the Pony Express Council tribe.
The guise of native regalia and stories crafted in an Indian style has proven its success time after time. The percentage of Eagle Scouts in the Council dwarf all others, and higher than the percentage in Heart of America, which also stands as a beacon to the nation on advancing and retaining youth.
We take the Scout Oath and Law and drape them in stories, which reinforce the principles in a way that could never be done in a Den house, or Scout room. The attire is part of a pageant which creates excitement and a desire to participate among the youth, both boys and girls. We take the concept of advancement, so critical to the Scouting program, and apply it to their progress within the Tribe. At each stage of advancement, more responsibility is given, and the appropriate attire consistent with the rank indicates to all their accomplishments. What does that do to the individual?
I can only speak for myself on this issue. This is my 48th year in the Tribe, and my 47th on the Geiger Reservation. The last eight years have been on Staff, serving as faithfully as I can. I was honored in 2020 to be advanced to the Tribal Council, and made a Sachem. 35 years after being advanced to Keeper. I try to live up to that responsibility in all that I do. Why? My kids, after, all, are long out of the program. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has ceased as a chartering organization, leaving me without Troop, or Pack. It would have been super easy to walk away when the Church of Jesus Christ did, and not look back. I have been asked more than once, if I needed help with my priorities regarding my work with Scouting. I do not. I realize that while I serve on Staff, that even though I am not in a teaching role, I perhaps do provide an example to youth and adults, I try to be a beacon for the principles that Scouting espouses, that mesh so closely with my own. I try to give back, as so much was given me.
That is how I try to live up to my oath and law.
Philip Lovesee
Sachem Golden Words
As an addendum. The reason that I ended up walking the camp, instead of going home this weekend, was that we had Wood Badge training for the upcoming course in the Pony Express Council. As an additional way of giving back, I would strongly encourage any leader reading, if they have not taken the Wood Badge course to do so. The training provided in the course extends far beyond the realm of Scouting, and helps provides the tools necessary to communicate and work with others in a far greater capacity. The link to sign up is below, as well as the dates.
I was one of those ruffians in 1985 (although I did no damage or hijinx). It was my hopeful year, the year I hoped to be tapped for induction into the Tribe. It happened! Like most boys, it was a whirlwind of activity and uncertainty that taught me a lot. I only ascended to Warrior, before girls and cars kept me away from camp. I wish I had gone further, but I did get my Eagle rank in 1986 I believe.
ReplyDeleteSo fast forward years later in the early 2000’s, I am working as a Cubmaster in Platte City, MO, working alongside Golden Words’ wife, or future wife-not sure of status at that point, when one week she asked me if I was the same John Phillips who attended Camp in 1985 and was tapped into the Tribe Of Mic-O-Say? I confirmed I was indeed. That is when I learned that Phil had been my tapper, and we became fast friends and I attended camp with him and his Troop with both of my boys for the entirety of their scouting experience. My oldest became a Runner and my youngest became a Firebuilder. I cherish that connection that was made and all of the time at camp listening to stories and telling a few of my own. Camp Geiger holds a special place in my heart.